【美文欣赏】一个理想的童年需要什么?

来源:仪征中学 时间:2023-02-23
 

EarlierthisweekSirEltonJohnexpressedanxietiesabouthowhisyoungson,Zachary,mightbetreatedwhenhegoestoschool.

本周早些时候,艾尔顿·约翰爵士坦言自己对儿子扎卡里的担心,
He fears he might face bullying because his parents are gay and Britain can still be homophobic.
害怕他会因为父母是同性恋在学校受到欺负,毕竟英国人依旧排斥同性恋。
He may be right, though in all the schools I know, children come now from every type of family circumstance, and don't think twice about it.
他的顾虑或许有道理,但据我所知,现在学校里的学生来自各种家庭背景,这是毫无疑问的。
Nevertheless, the playground can be cruel and adults need to be vigilant.
尽管如此,学校里也可能会发生恶性事件,家长们需要保持警惕。
But Elton John's anxiety made me think more generally about how our children experience childhood and what we want for them from it.
不过,艾尔顿·约翰的担心让我从更广的层面思考孩子是如何度过童年的,我们又希望他们从中获得什么。
Of course, childhood is not a stage in life determined by our biology but a human convention.
当然,童年不由遗传决定,而是社会习俗决定。
This is why we can sometimes get in a muddle about it, especially about the point of transition to adulthood.
因此我们有时会感到茫然无措,这种情形在我们步入成年时更为尤甚。
We send mixed messages when we tell our children different stories about their level of maturity
给孩子讲述成年人关心的不同话题时,
in relation to getting married, casting a vote, taking out a loan, fighting for their country, and so on.
我们常常对结婚、投票、贷款、保家卫国等话题褒贬不一。
I once had an argument with someone who passionately believed
我曾与某人就刑事责任年龄发生分歧,
that the age of criminal responsibility should be raised from ten to 16, even 18.
她坚信刑事责任年龄应从10岁升至16岁,甚至到18岁。
" We have to remember," she said, " that these young people are children."
“别忘了,”她说,“这些年轻人都还是小孩子。”
I was not unsympathetic, but all the time I kept hearing some words of my own teenage son,
我并非冷酷无情,但我总听到儿子对我说:
words most parents hear at some time, " Dad, stop treating me like a child. "
“爸爸,别把我当作小孩子。”相信绝大部分父母都听过这句话。
At one time getting a job was the rite of passage out of childhood.
步入职场一度是人们告别童年的成年仪式,
But now unemployment suspends many young people between childhood and the adult world
然而失业现况将许多年轻人置于童年和成年世界之间,
with few helpful precedents as to how to live well in this in- between existence.
却鲜有先例告诉他们该如何面对这一尴尬境地。